Thursday, May 30, 2019

What is truth? Ask THE TRUTH.

"I wish you'd never told me. If I didn't know, I'd be happy right now."
- Game of Thrones, Season 8, Episode 4
 
Can you relate to that statement? Can you relate to the mentality behind it? "Don't tell me the truth; it will ruin my happiness." "Don't tell me the truth; it's too inconvenient! It will change things! It will force me to have to choose and I don't want that responsibility!"
 
The saying "Ignorance is bliss" exists for a reason. We can't be upset about what we don't know. We can't be held responsible or more importantly culpable for the things we do if we don't know they're wrong. But once we know the truth - things are never the same again. We might be able to ignore the truth, suppress our knowledge of it, but we can never really forget the truth once it's known. The truth changes everything.

A Francis Chan message I listened to recently demonstrated this very point. He talked about how since he was a kid he has liked eating salami. He has no idea how it is made and he said he didn't want to know for fear that knowing the truth would ruin his ability to enjoy eating it anymore. It's a simple example that is very relatable to many areas of life. How often we just don't want to know the truth!

Sometimes the truth just hurts. I am sure you can think of time in your own life where the truth brought devastation but here are few scenarios that are playing out right  now somewhere for someone in which the revelation of the truth isn't a blessing but a seeming curse:
  • You think your teen son is at a safe supervised party but they are really in a dangerous situation with drugs, drinking, and difficult choices they're not yet strong enough to resist.
  • You think your family member is looking out for you only to learn the truth that they have stolen your identity to perpetuate financial fraud.
  • You think your partner is working overtime every week only to learn the truth that they are meeting someone else for an affair.

"So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.”  Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” (John 18:37-38)

"What is truth?" This is a very philosophical existential looking question and without the context of Jesus the Son of God it can seem like an abyss in which to flounder and drown.

But Jesus didn't say he was bearing witness to a truth but to the truth. Long before this trial Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” (John 14:6-7)

"So what?" you might ask. What does this talk of the truth mean for us now? It means the originator and definer of truth isn't science or history or man - it's always been Jesus. Today in whatever your doing and in all you do - seek the truth, listen to the truth, and let the truth live through you. Hold all your thoughts, words, and actions up to the truth and see if meets His standard. Through Him we know truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment