Thursday, March 7, 2019

speak YOUR truth or THE truth? Part 1

A big thing I have heard lately is "speak your truth" and on the surface it seems like a good thing. "Speak you truth" - know and own your feelings, your wants, your needs, your desires and own that expressing those things is your responsibility. Speak your truth because you and you alone are ultimately responsible for your overall wellbeing and balance - if that is what someone means by "speak your truth" great.

But it's not ok to "speak your truth" with impunity. "Speak your truth" is not a license to say and do whatever you want to someone else under the false banner of fake authenticity or even worse true authenticity that is selfish and sinful. The motives behind your truth need to be assessed before you speak it. This is hard because we live in a reactionary society where everything is instantaneous, delay gratification is not practiced, and dissent is not seen as an opportunity to learn but cause for immediate attack and annihilation. We are often most blind to our own weaknesses and deficiencies. "Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." (Matthew 7:4-6).

"If someone's feathers are ruffled by something I said or did - it's their fault. They are too sensitive, too fragile." People who feel this way are difficult to deal with. Often they don't practice what they preach. Those who are prone to explosions and outbursts of dramatic over-the-top bullying and rude behavior, are the first ones to get bent out of shape when someone mirrors that behavior back to them in any sense. They are not calm 24/7. Their frantic, manic, and bipolar behavior fluctuates between overbearing and insufferable to friendly exuberance with compliments. They may wear their insecurities on their sleeve but other's are not allowed to. It creates a very unsafe and unpredictable environment for the people around them.

I am really struggling with anxiety today. I feel like I am in the midst of a turbulent sea of other peoples - sorry but bullshit - and I don't like it.

I had to talk walk away for a second in the middle of this post. How perfect that when I returned this was what was playng on my headset... Ocean's by Hillsong United:

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Saviour
I will call upon Your Name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

John the Baptist has really been on my hear these last weeks. John the Baptist spoke not just his truth but THE TRUTH and doing so came at a cost - the highest cost anyone can pay. Stay tuned for Part 2 of this series where we dive deeper into what knowing and speaking the truth looks like biblically! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment