Thursday, December 16, 2010

blue lights twinkle

After a long week of work it is my families custom to celebrate by ordering out for food or going out to eat. Last Friday we decided on fish dinners from Culvers instead of pizza or Chinese food. It was there at the drive through window that I saw the blue lights twinkle. A tiny little shrub was covered in twinkly blue lights for the holidays. Not all the lights twinkled on and off, only some. It was very beautiful and the image of them stayed with me. I thought about how we use fireworks when it is hot out and not when its cold. I thought about how though all light illuminates but not all light warms. I thought about the book "Blue Like Jazz". I thought about how we use strings of lights to outline our homes and trees in winter. Maybe we do that because we need to define ourselves from the cold and snow that surrounds us. It is our way of saying to winter, "You are not the shiz We are still here. We may be cold, we may be shivering but we are still here."

Today I am warm. It is bitter cold outside and I hear Christmas songs about blizzards but I started this day feeling a warmth inside that transcends outer forces; warm hopefulness in my heart and calmness in my soul. I want to make it last. I want to share it with those I love. I want to take a piece of the peace and bottle it for later.

2 comments:

  1. :) "Take a piece of the peace and bottle it for later" so great! I completely agree! Thank you for reminding me of the warmth that is all around!

    Love you!

    keya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an amazing post. This quote is my favorite, "I thought about how we use strings of lights to outline our homes and trees in winter. Maybe we do that because we need to define ourselves from the cold and snow that surrounds us." You're so right!

    ReplyDelete