Thursday, March 7, 2013

random thoughts on hospitality

This isn't a virtual rule just a random thought. I wish the American culture had more cultural customs, specifically those regarding hospitality and community. I am a fan of the show Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and one reason I enjoy watching is it gives a glimpse of what life is like in other cultures. I think we here lack a lot of really sincere basic customs that make a society stronger.

When I am invited into another's home I always try to bring something. It doesn't have to be big or fancy, usually it's small and simple, but I like bringing something. I don't know why I'm like that. I don't really come from a family of big entertainers. I really only remember one time my mom having people over when I was young and big holiday hooplas with distant family also were rare.

Maybe my bringing something to the places I go is my way of recognizing the efforts of the host even if they don't see it as effort. I really appreciate the gathering together of individuals; the many becoming one. I appreciate coming together in a specific space at a definite moment in time. It's significant, the time we spend together.

So whether its a $5 bottle of wine or loaf of marble rye (remember Seinfeld) I will continue to make gestures of a sincerely thankful heart. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment