Sunday, April 21, 2013

the lost day

In Peter Pan there were the Lost Boys, well this was the lost day.

I didn't accomplish much. I took my grandma on some errands. I went for a mile walk. I baked peanut butter cup brownies. I did less homework than I should've (damn Pinterest). Here are some thoughts I will pour out in the 10 minutes before I go to bed:

I took my grandma to the graveyard to visit her mother's grave. It was a generational matriarchal event I suppose. As we were driving out of the cemetery, I saw there a young woman in jeans and a black sweatshirt with her long hair tied back, kneeling by a grave. There was something about the sight that gave me pause in my heart. There is loss all around us you know, one doesn't have to be in a bomb field in Boston or TX for loss to be there. Not all loss makes that kind of explosive noise that causes masses to take notice, nonetheless it's there.

I saw the flooding of two rivers. When water cannot be contained and reaches over beyond what is normal, we are reminded we do not control nature. We cannot make it stop. When a house is left untended, nature takes it over. When Winter's thaw causes waters to rise, we know how much the earth is not our own yet is what we call our home.

I wondered about the little red gloves left on a park bench on the walking path. Would their owner miss them? Were they even now looking for them? Sitting so softly and yet loudly there, I will not forget them.

I waited today. Goal for tomorrow, that the desire to wait for you will lesson...


HANA: If one night I didn't come to the tent, what would you do?
KIP: I would try not to expect you.
HANA: But if it got late and I hadn't shown up?
KIP: Then I'd think there must be a reason.
HANA: You wouldn't come to find me? That makes me never want to come here.
HANA: Then I tell myself he spends all day searching, in the night he wants to be found.

Don't we all.

No comments:

Post a Comment