Sunday, May 5, 2013

an app for that

I installed Sprint's Drive First app on my phone today. By using GPS the app automatically activates when it senses the phone is in motion. It's a good idea - I'm trying it for 15 days free - shame they want to $2 a month for it.

Anyway - the app got me thinking how everything has a price. There is that old quote from somewhere, "nothing is free and anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something." We live our lives and there is a cost for all we have and we all do.

What a miraculous time to be alive. Truly. Wow! We have cars, planes, radio, air conditioning, smartphones, literature-on-demand, Starbucks... :) It really is amazing all we have that didn't exist not that long ago.

As I was keeping up with traffic at 75 miles an hours traveling from WI to IL this afternoon I thought about God and love. John Piper in a message said this: "Here is the key question about love… what is it? How does love function as one of the parts of the moral compass that gives you guidance for what to do in the knitty-gritty of your life? Most Americans don’t know what love is… I’ll state a definition that they might agree with... Maybe you would find people who would agree with the definition: “Love is doing whatever you have to do, at whatever cost to yourself, to make people as happy as they can be forever." I buy that definition of love."

Psalm 51:4 "Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight.You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just." I Googled "synonyms for sin" and this is what I found:
anger, covetousness, crime, damnation, debt, deficiency, demerit, disobedience, envy, error, evil, evil-doing, fault, gluttony, guilt, immorality, imperfection, iniquity, lust, misdeed, offense, peccability, peccadillo, peccancy, pride, shortcoming, sinfulness, sloth, tort, transgression, trespass, ungodliness, unrighteousness, veniality, vice, violation, wickedness, wrong, wrongdoing, wrongness. 

Sin among us mortals is the most real things about us. It's our biggest problem. Not Syria, not recycling, not politics, not cigarette smoking - these are problems yes - but behind all our problems stands sin.

When I don't get my way I can be extremely petulant. I know this about myself. I hate the quality yet it persists more often than not. "I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. And I
know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it." Romans 7:15-20

"You were sorry and humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I said against this city and its people—that this land would be cursed and become desolate. You tore your clothing in despair and wept before me in repentance. And I have indeed heard you, says the Lord." (2 Kings 22:19) "...if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness." (1 John 1:9)


Some apps can keep us safe and some can put us in danger. It would be nice if their was an app for every real need deep inside us. Be grieved by sin; it's the only grief that can lead to life.


No comments:

Post a Comment