Wednesday, May 15, 2013

going it alone

I decided instead of running away from the idea of a life alone...I'd better sit down and take that fear to lunch. 
-"Waiting for someone?
-"No, it's just me. Thanks."
So, I sat there and had a glass of wine...alone. No books, no man, no friends, no armor...no faking.
-Carrie, Sex and the City

 
I just finished booking plans to do something that I want to do. I couldn't find anyone else that wanted to go and instead of telling myself I didn't really want to go anyway, I've bought a ticket and I'm going - alone.
 
The above quote is from an episode of Sex and the City where Carrie comes to grips with being single and alone in what can sometimes feel like a world of couples.
 
The ability to go somewhere alone isn't a new experience for me, it's just every time I go to an event that is usually seen as a couples/group thing, I have to sort of psych myself up for it.
 
a reminder to me and all of us:
You can do it. You aren't paralyzed. Look at all the places you've gone without the buffer of knowing anyone else. Remember all the times you had courage in the past and take heart; you're braver than you realize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment