Thursday, May 2, 2013

bears weight: a check box

"Bears his own weight"

Read that phrase today on a nursing practice test. It was talking about patients and crutches but the phrase can mean so much more outside the context of nursing. I don't have much time. Need to get my scrubs on and get going. Errands to run before class tonight. I just need to get some thoughts down.

"Bear his own weight" - I think the burdens that weigh upon each of us can sometimes never really be known by others. Maybe that's cynical of me. I don't know. I just don't think that being totally known is always possible. Some things it feels like just can't be shared. But that becomes scary with add words... "he is unable to bear his own weight."

There are tools to help one who struggles with balance and strength physically. I wonder if we offer enough tools to help mentally, emotionally, relationally. Our weights are many...

Do you know that I want nothing more than to know you? All I truly want is a safe place for knowing - in all the many contexts and dimensions that knowing can involve. Why will you not listen to me? What is it that holds you back? Why are you most repelled by what doesn't reproach you?


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us." Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment