Tuesday, February 15, 2011

versatile / marching 2 my own verse

I love jazz. I love opera. Looking at my iTunes collection I also apparently love alternative, punk, alternative-punk, rock, singer songwriter, r&b, classical, and country. My music selection is versatile: does that make me versatile? Are there other areas of my life in which this versatility comes through?

I feel like there are times when "versatile" is a dirty word; it's given a bad rap. Sometimes when someone calls you "versatile" what they really mean is you are flaky, flighty, ungrounded. Is liking a lot of things equivalent to liking nothing? There is a difference between a pianist and a master pianist, there is a difference between a student of art and an artist; one who dedicates their life to one thing is different from the occasional dabbler. I like music but I also like literature; I like literature but I also like film; I like film but I also like shopping (I don't know). Out of all the subjects in life, what we like out of them and why says something about us according to the world, but is that true? Does my driving a Chevy or forgetting to bring my Eco-bags to Walmart say something about who I am? If I use plastic and not paper is that worthy of hanging? If I buy foreign and far instead of local and near am I less in some way?

Our musical likes define us like scent markers but should they? The movie Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist - is dedicated to how a persons choice in music correlates not only to how "cool" they are as an individual but they're ability to find an equally "cool" mate. Characterization based upon a song selection is nonsense, isn't it? TV shows like Criminal Minds and Lie to Me, in which they profile an entire person based upon the way they appear in a photograph or the way the fold their hands in their lap, are giving me a complex. Who among us doesn't make premature, erroneous judgments based upon little things? And because we do it to others, we know they do it to us. Who doesn't start thinking that little trivial things like hair color, haircut, clothing choice, car brand define them? We need to examine what we are defined by.

No comments:

Post a Comment