Monday, July 29, 2013

metamorphosis of the american dream

Fiddling with my phone this morning trying to get the motivation to get out of bed and start the day when I read this article from the USA today: USA Today: 4 in 5 in USA near poverty, no work

It's a glimpse of the reality facing the majority of so many Americans. The American Dream I fear is a dead thing or if not dead greatly altered. I don't know maybe I'm way off. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic. In the past, The American Dream was very much was connected to economic success. If my experience in the workforce is any indicator of the course were on as a nation, then we all should be concerned. I had a job at the same company for ten years, an unprecedented thing in our day in age. It started out promising - regular raises, OK health insurance, actual dental as an option - but over the years it deteriorated severely - pay cuts, health insurance taken away, dental canceled, layoffs, more work for less money. My experience isn't the only one like that. There are those that would say it's my own fault for staying as long as I did. I guess that is technically true but also very shortsighted and slightly condescending.

Maybe I'm just able to be more compassionate to those struggling because I've been there. Sometimes you read the comments on articles like this and see how vicious, vengeful, and vindictive some people can be towards the struggling downtrodden. Some are so quick to blame and judge; there is very much this "I got mine, so f*** you" attitude, "If you're struggling, it's all your fault: you did it to yourself." It's a very prideful, arrogant spirit that can be so critical of others. It comes from a person who forgets no one succeeds alone. Someone helped them at some point. I know for me, I didn't get where I am alone. Yes, I had to be motivated and be responsible, but I also had people who cared about me and helped me greatly.

I guess I really believe in the idea of pay it forward. I don't attribute my success to myself alone. I want to help others like I've been helped...

The best movie I have seen this summer was The Internship with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. I really liked it. Behind all the fluff there was a real story there. So many Americans have had to start over in the professional life and even personal life for many reasons - the economy, the loss of an entire job sector, the competition that exists in the workforce. I know I am only 29 years old but I feel like I too am on my "second act" so to speak. Nursing school is my hitting of the reset button. People need to be allowed that, especially in the changing world we live in. The days of working for the same company forever and having a decent pension and good benefits are gone - FOREVER GONE. Maybe the way we did things before just wasn't sustainable...or maybe the "Greed is good" mentality has finally bit us in the ass...


This whole thing has really made me think about what "The American Dream" is. What does it look like? Is it unreasonable? Is the bar set too low? Too high? I have no idea.

What really hits home for me is how I don't want to equate success with accolades, diplomas, pay scales, and 401(k)s. A successful life to me is having a few best friendships, the ability to enjoy an occasional beer and bonfire, and being able to afford a roof over my head and food on the table. I don't think that is too modest of a list; I don't think that is a bad place to settle - anything beyond that is gravy. It's what we share and leave behind in actions, words, feelings, and behaviours that makes a life. Politics, car brands, and iPhones don't get a person cherished in another's memory and heart.

Everyone is making a legacy: what's at the root of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment