Wednesday, April 27, 2011

the straight line

It is said that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Going straight seems like it should be easy enough but going straight only works if you know where you are and where you need to go. One good thing to come out of the Rob Bell "Love Wins" book crisis, is how much it has made so many people think about what they believe and why the believe it. I know it has made me read more than I have in long time and pick up my bible more than I have in months.

To know where I stand as a human being in general and as a specific individual before God is truly important. To know the distance between myself and God is important. To appreciate that God is not myself or anything like myself or anyone else for that matter, is important. To know that the greatest gift God gives is Himself - God is the Gospel. I don't love God because I fear Hell, I love God because I fear God. I don't love God because I want social justice, I love God hence I care about social justice. (How would I even know what soical justice was without God to push the definition further than man would ever take it!) I don't love God because I want a full bank account and a Lexus, I love God because his "love is better than life." (Psalm 63:3) I don't love God because I think it will make me popluar and make me liked, I love God because He "is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalm 73:26) I don't like God, I love God. God's love for me does not depend on my love for him, nor is the amount with which I love him the amount with which he loves me. Love doesn't mean exemption from grief, exemption from truth, exemption from reality, exemption for consequence, exemption from correction. "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me." (Revelation 3:19-20) Throw open the door and worshp the glory of God in the face of Christ Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment